About Our Milk
Tradition is the idea that fuels Mother Culture™. Traditional foods prepared in a traditional way.
“Traditional” shouldn’t be confused with “conventional” since convention (and convenience) has replaced tradition in the way commercial manufacturers and distributors feed the public. At Mother Culture™, we reject convention and make old-world style yogurt!
Traditionally, unrefined, unprocessed milk has been used as a nourishing part of a balanced diet. Conventionally, milk has been stripped of the properties that make it beneficial to us, namely through high-temperature pasteurization and homogenization . With a radical notion that milk should be nourishing, healthful, and pure, Mother Culture™ begins the process of traditional yogurt making with raw, grass-fed, cream-top milk.
We are lucky enough to have a family owned and operated dairy right in our own backyard! Four E Dairy in Moulton, TX supplies us with certified Grade A raw milk from a mostly Jersey herd who are treated humanely and fed grass. If a cow is sick she is quarantined from the herd to be treated. As a result, no antibiotics or hormones end up in the milk that Four E supplies us with.
- Richer flavor and heartier body due to pasture-based operation.
- Anecdotal evidence suggests that nutrients of milk from Jersey cows is delivered to our bodies more efficiently than that of Holstein cows.
- Studies show that children who consume clean, raw milk have greater resistance to disease, better growth and stronger teeth than children consuming pasteurized milk.
- Recent European studies indicate that children who drink raw milk are much less likely to develop allergies and asthma.
- Raw milk contains enzymes and encourages beneficial bacteria which contribute to easy digestion and ensure that all the vitamins and minerals are absorbed.
- Those with sensitivity, lactose intolerance, or allergies to pasteurized commercial milk are often able to enjoy high quality raw milk.
- Raw milk production makes small farms and dairies more likely to remain in business.
Raw Milk Resources